Monday, Jul. 25, 2005

Good Things Come to an End

It's one of those days.....I know that I sound superficial when I say this, but I'm pissed off because my hair dryer broke this morning when I was getting ready for work. I tried hitting the reset button and plugging it into different outlets, but neither worked. Number one, I woke up late, and didn't have too much time to get ready in the first place. Number two, when my hair dryer broke it took even longer for me to get ready because I was trying to make my hair look nice without blow drying it. Number three, I have to spend money to buy a new one. Now my hair looks lifeless and dull and ugly. It really doens't matter because I work in an office where noone but co-workers see me, but still .... I feel like I look like shit which puts a damper on my mood. My confidence is at level 0 today. When I woke up today I rolled over, and thought,"I should call off today." But no, here I am. The phones are ringing off the hook. I am one of only two people in this office. We are very shorthanded tonight. Damnit, I knew I should have called off.

My weekend was good though. I had my first golfing experience on Saturday. It was my first time stepping foot on a real course. And I say stepping foot on, because I didn't golf. I drove the cart for Adam, relaxed, smoked some cigarettes, and basically just hung out with him and his friend Ben, who also golfed. It was the perfect day to be there too. There was not a dark cloud in the sky, it was sunny, but not too hot like it has been the past few weeks. I felt like I had just jumped into the television while someone was playing Tiger Woods. The course was so much like the game it was almost unreal. Now I know how realistic that game actually is. Ben and Adam only played the front nine because they were afraid it would be dark if they tried to finish all eighteen holes. Both of them said they had played better at times, but have played worse as well. They each had a couple of nice shots but a lot of their balls were in the rough and sometimes out of bounds. By the time they were finished, the sun was just beginning to set. It was great timing.

That night Ben was going to the bar to see a local band play and asked us to go along. It would have been fun if Adam and I both weren't so tired from working early that morning until into the afternoon. It was a night where I didn't feel like being in a huge crowd like that. Being packed liked sardines against other people in a smoke filled bar didn't sound fun to me that night. I was in the mood for something more chill so Adam and I decided to go play Texas Hold'em at our friends' house. They have been inviting us to their house for awhile now, so since we couldn't get ahold of anyone beforehand to let them know we were coming, I didn't feel bad or awkward just showing up. In fact, everyone was glad to see us and very welcoming when we walked into the garage where they had the card table set up.

Adam and I had to wait awhile to start playing because they were finishing up a game and were going to start a new one when it was over. I was a little bored sitting there watching the remaining players so I drank some beers while I was waiting. They had to extend the table because there wasn't enough room at the one they were already using. A total of 17 of us played. First, they had us split into two tables. Eight guys were at one and seven ladies at the other. When it got down to ten ladies and guys total, we were combined into one table. Adam was out before that even happened and I was still playing. While we were cashing in chips, he brought me a bowl of homemade chicken pot pie from the kitchen and told me that I had to try it. Sheila's (the person whos house we were at) mother made it and it was the best homemade chicken potpie I have ever tasted in my life. The huge pot of it that she made was completely gone by the end of the night. I ended up coming in third place and winning $35.00. That was the first time I had ever finished in the money. Adam was so proud of me.

I did very well playing poker on Sunday too. When I first woke up in the morning I didn't want to get out of bed. I kept telling Adam that I was going to stay home that afternoon and sleep. He kept persisting me to get out of bed and take a shower. After my shower I was fine. It woke me up I guess. We play Texas Hold'em at the bar where Adam works every Sunday because they are running a fourteen week tournament. Each week, depending upon how well or poorly you play, you get points. Whoever has the most points at the end of the tournament gets a cash prize. There are also smaller cash prizes for people who come in second, and third, etc. I think the tournament is about half way through. Each week around twenty - thirty people who up to play. It usually starts out with about eight people per table, and then they combine them once people start to get out.

There is this ongoing joke about Cheryl, who plays cards with Adam and I on Tuesday nights. She is usually the first one out every week, at our house and the bar, so yesterday, Adam put a sign on her back that read 'First One Out'. She paraded around for about an hour without knowing about it. Everyone saw it and was laughing. Eventually Adam told her about the sign and she took it off. It was funny because Cheryl know how to take a joke. However, she did say she would get Adam back. haha.

My playing was really on target this weekend. Yesterday though, I wish I could have done just a little better. I finished in fourth place and missed out on the money by one spot! Only the top three places get paid. Again I was proud of myself because I was the only girl at the final table playing against some really good players. I was glad I made it that far though, not only because it really helped with my points for the whole tournament, but because it's the farthest I've ever made it while playing there. Now if I could just do that every week...

We visited with Adam's mom for a little more than an hour after we were done playing cards. She gave him a card with money in it for his birthday. I really like his mom and wish she lived a little closer so that I could see her and get to know her a little better. The few times that I've seen her though, I did get to know her fairly well. She is really easy to get along with, much like Adam is. Her personality is friendly and she is so welcoming when we go over to visit. She's always offering to give us food to take home and asking us if we need anything. She's just such a sweet person. Adam has personality traits of both his mom and dad and looks like a combination of both of them.

It was still early when we left Adam's mom's house so we decided to go to another couple's house to hang out. They've been inviting us to hang out with them for awhile but we've always been busy. They live in the country and have a big, beautiful house with a pool in the backyard and a big screen tv inside. They aren't that much older than Adam and I either. For a moment I couldn't help but be envious of all that they have. Only a few years older and they have a house, a pool, a big screen tv, really nice furniture, a basement with a pool table in it ... and Adam and I rent an apartment, and basically live paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet. Yes, I should go back to school so I can get a better job. Yes, Adam should too. Sometimes it's just frusterating. I do have it good though. Things could be a lot worse. I just hope that someday I can get to that point where I can have really nice things without having to worry about how I'm going to pay for them.

Anyway, we had a great time at Betsy and Floyd's. We sat in the screened in porch playing cards and drinking. Another couple that are friends with them were there along with some of their family members. They all get together every Sunday night and we were told that we were welcome there anytime. I told Adam that we should go over there again soon because I really like hanging out with them.

We left a little after midnight. That gave us a little bit of time alone together when we got home. I like at night when it's just Adam and I. It's my favorite part of the day. Last night we watched the last two episodes of Sopranos. It was such a great ending to a great show. However, I didn't think it was going to end like that. I thought more people would be killed. There are so many scenarios that are left unanswered though. There were so many things that they still could have expanded on. I liked the ending though because I wasn't expecting it. I feel the emotions I felt when I watched the last episode of Sex & the City. I hate seeing good things come to an end.

missdahling at 6:22 pm