Monday, Jun. 13, 2005

Six Flags

I feel really bad for missing Liz's birthday on Saturday night, yet, I don't feel like I missed out on too much. If her birthday would have fallen on a different weekend, I might have been up for going out to the bars, getting crazy and drinking myself into an oblivion. However, this past weekend, I really felt that I needed to get away. Actually, I've been feeling that way for awhile. My daily routine became so mundane that I thought if I'd go away for the weekend, I'd come back feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Has anyone else ever felt like they just want to run away from everything; even their closest friends and family? That's how I felt. I just wanted to get away from the town that I live in, not think about it, not think about work, not think about anything stressful; just have fun. That's what I did too.

The alarm was set for 6am on Saturday morning, but if you know my boyfriend, you know that he is not a morning person. And if you know me, you know that I am even more so not a morning person. I hate the sound of alarms so when I heard the obnoxious BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, I rolled over on my side and asked Adam if he wanted to sleep. He set the alarm again, this time for 11am.

I had to get out of bed at 11 because my bank closes at noon on Saturdays and I needed to withdraw money out of my account. I drove to my bank, thinking about what our weekend was going to be like and thinking about how great it was going to be to go away. After taking $500.00 out of my checking account, I stopped by to visit a friend at his job. He DJ's at a radio station and works by himself on weekends so he tends to get bored. I'd be bored too if I had to work from 5am until 3pm by myself. I brought along a book that he wanted to borrow, so I dropped that off and we sat there and talked for about twenty minutes before I decided I had better get home to start packing.

It didn't take me very long to pack since we were only going for one night. But I was proud of myself because I packed very lightly, only bringing along 2 extra outfits. I managed to fit all of my clothes and all of Adam's into one suitcase. Normally, when I go away I take several suitcases full of clothing, even if it is only for a night or two. I'm always thinking about what the weather will be like and if an outfit were to get dirty and I decide that I'll need several outfits to choose from if we were to go out for an evening. Even Adam said,"Is that all you're bringing?!" Meaning that he couldn't believe I was packing so little. I think I was just really ready to get out of town. The less time spent packing meant the sooner we could get on the road.

While I was taking my shower, Adam had gone to the library to get directions to Six Flags, NJ. The timing was great because as soon as I finished getting ready, he came home. We left after he took his shower. I looked over the directions and thought they looked a little strange. I was wondering why they were taking us through center city Philadelphia, then had us go to North Jersey. I was thinking in my head that we could have just gotten onto 80, then headed into NY that way. To me, that would have been the quickest route to take, but I wasn't going to say anything.

After we stopped at Wawa somewhere in South Jersey, I knew that I should have said something about the directions before we left. We were very lost. A really nice man gave us directions to the park, which was still an hour and a half away. The trip should have taken us about 3 - 3 and 1/2 hrs. Instead, it took us about 5-6. Ridiculous. It sucks being a tourist.

When we finally found the town we were supposed to be in, it was 9 pm. We ate dinner at a nice restaurant, where I had filet mignon; my favorite. It was good too. I asked for it medium rare which they cooked nicely. It was perfect. Very tender. It came with a baked potato and caesar salad. Adam ate bbq chicken with corn and a salad. I think have a mild allergic reaction to food and drinks with certain sugars in them because I ordered a lemonade drink with rum in it and got very flushed after taking a gulp of it. The same thing happens when I eat cherry pie and sweet tarts. After I took a swig of my drink, Adam asked if it were too strong. I'm like,"No, it's just really sour." I finished it then ordered a frozen white russian which tasted excellent. I've never had one frozen before, just on the rocks.

We spent another twenty minutes driving around, trying to find a hotel with vacancies. We stayed at the Ramada in a jacuzzi room. It was the only one available and the only reason it was available was because the people who reserved it cancelled their reservation. The room was alright. It was clean and a decent size. We smoked in the jacuzzi and relaxed that night. We were both tired from the car ride and didn't see any cool places to go around town. I wish that when I went to unfamiliar places I knew where the hot spots in town were.

Originally, we wanted to get to the park right as it opened, but we slept through our wakeup call and ended up getting up at noon. Adam and I were both excited to ride the new roller coaster which is the biggest in the world, but it wasn't operating on Saturday due to maintenance. Adam said that he was kind of glad they didn't have it running because he admitted that he was a little afraid of it. I too was scared of it, but I still wanted to ride it. First, we rode the Great American Scream Machine. From the top of the hill we could see the King Da Ka and it towered about four stories over us. Yes, it looked huge.

We cooled ourselves off while riding the Log Flume. Then, we rode on the Nitro. That was the adreneline rush of the day. I loved getting to the top of the hill, then feeling my hear nearly jump out of myself while going down the hill. The funniest part was when the ride was over and we were waiting to get off the ride. All of a sudden I heard a boy, around the age of 10 or 11, sing,"...And when I get that fee-eelin'...I want, sexual healin'...sexual..." I looked at Adam and started cracking up laughing while he had this weird look on his face and said,"Little kids are weird."

The lines for the rides weren't too bad to wait in. The longest line we had to wait in was about 45 minutes long. The Sponge Bob Squarepants virtual ride was actually pretty cool. I got soaking wet on the water rapids ride but it was alright because it was the last ride we went on. We ate dinner at the park, picked up our picture that one of the employees at the park took of us when we first walked in, bought some shot glasses at a gift shop, then decided to head home.

I really wanted to stay another night, but unfortunately, we ran out of money. The drive home was much easier. We called the other bartender where Adam works and he gave us directions home. He knew exactly where we were and where to lead us to get onto 80 because he lived in New Jersey for years before moving to Pennsylvania. It took us a little over three hours to get home and that was doing the speed limit the entire way. We smoked in the car which made the ride go by much quicker. We listened to the radio and sang along to old rap songs the radio station was playing. I wanted to call in and request a song, but kept forgetting the phone number.

We started watching a movie after we got home, but both fell asleep almost immediatly after it started. This morning, I was sad when I woke up because today I had to come back to work. I wished I could be on vacation forever. I always get that way after going away. It's like, oh god...don't tell me I have to deal with my boring, everyday life again. Adam told me that it made him sad because I was sad. It made him think that I didn't like our life. I told him it wasn't that I didn't like what we have, but I love getting away and always have so much fun that I never want to come home. I did have a lot of fun.

Before work today I was frazzled. The cat pissed on my suitcase and duffle bag that I had sitting in the spare bedroom. My suitcase is ruined. I called the dry cleaners and they can't do anything about it. Fuck. I was so angry at the cat I was chasing him around like a mad woman telling him he was a bad cat and he was going to the SPCA. Whether or not he will actually go, I don't know yet. If he does it again, I'm going to have to consider giving him away and it will break my heart.

My day went by quickly. It's already time to go.

missdahling at 9:10 pm